This invaluable course from an expert in comparative religious studies surveys the world religions and ideologies from the viewpoint of a Christian experienced in interfaith dialogue. It will expand your global knowledge about various worldviews and will help you better grasp how religion functions in the global village.
This course will help students:
- to explore and analyze world religions and worldviews, including African traditional religion, Buddhism, Christianity, Confucianism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism;
- to assess the strengths and weaknesses of different religious systems and ideologies;
- to understand the current issues in the pluralistic world;
- to appreciate cultural diversity and empathize with people from other cultures;
- to participate in debates concerning the role of religions in modern societies;
- to focus on the mission of a Christian church.
Lecture 1. Introducing the Course
1.1. What Is Religion?
1.2. My Journey in the World of Religions.
1.3. The Gospel – the Great Surprise.
Lecture 2. The Religions and Ultimate Questions
2.1. What Are the Ultimate Questions?
2.2. Different Answers of Religions.
2.3. What Difference Does Jesus Make?
2.4. Other Important Questions.
Lecture 3. The World of Religions
3.1. Onion Model of Culture.
3.2. Approaches to the Challenges of Religious Pluralism.
3.3. Characteristics of Religions.
3.4. The Gospel and the Culture Onion.
3.5. Transforming Cultures.
3.6. Cultural Diversity.
3.7. The Role of Meta-narrative.
3.8. Reasons to Consider the Biblical Meta-narrative.
3.9. Redemptive Signs in All Religions.
3.10. Strongholds of Deception in Religions.
3.11. Wakuru’s Story.
3.12. Distinctives of the Christian Faith.
Lecture 4. Religious Systems
4.1. Religions of Clan or Tribe.
4.2. African Traditional Religion.
4.3. The Good News in the World of the Occult and Spirits.
4.5. Questions and Answers.
4.6. Shintoism: Another Religion of Nation.
4.8. Traditional Chinese Religions.
4.9. Questions and Answers.
4.11. Christian Faith.
4.13. Questions and Answers.
4.15. Biblical Foundations of the Scientific Revolution.
4.16. The Enlightenment: a Massive Transformation.
4.17. Questions and Answers.
Lecture 5. Jesus and the Samaritan Woman at the Well